makehyper — generate a GNU Backgammon Hypergammon position database
Synopsismakehyper [-nvh] [-f filename] [-r filename] [-c chequers] [-t threshold]
DescriptionHypergammon is a variation of backgammon with a much reduced number of chequers (usually three). It's possible to fully analyse this simplified game and generate a database of position evaluations in order to play perfectly. makehyper generates such a position evaluation database.
Since many of the positions are in contact, it's not possible to generate the database in one pass; instead, makehyper iterates until the position evaluation converges. The convergence threshold can be changed with the -t option.
- -f filename, --outfile filename
- Write the hypergammon database to filename. Default is "hyper<number of chequers>.bd", the name expected by GNU Backgammon when using the database.
- -r filename, --restart filename
- Restart calculation of the database from the given file, which should be a checkpoint from an earlier run.
- -c chequers, --chequers chequers
- Set the number of chequers in the game. The default is 3, for normal 3-chequer hypergammon.
- -n, --no-checkpoint
- Do not write a checkpoint file after each iteration.
- -t threshold, --threshold threshold
- Set the convergence threshold. The default is 1e-5.
- -v, --version
- Show version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display usage and exit.