quake2 — classic first person shooter
Synopsisquake2 [WRAPPER-OPTIONS] [ENGINE-OPTIONS] [ENGINE-COMMANDS]...
DescriptionThis manual page documents briefly the quake2 command.
Quake II is a popular first-person shooter game, released in 1997 by iD Software. This wrapper script will launch the Quake II engine. The game data needs to be installed independently using the 'game-data-packager' program, and by default it will be looked for at /usr/share/games/quake2 and /usr/share/games/quake2-demo.
This wrapper script accepts a few GNU-style options. Any further arguments are passed to the engine unmodified. Consult the engine documentation for full details, but most engines support a syntax where you can give console commands by prefixing with a plus sign.
Additionally, if quake2 is run via a symbolic link whose name contains reckoning, xatrix, groundzero or rogue, it will play one of the Quake II mission packs, The Reckoning (by Xatrix Entertainment) or Ground Zero (by Rogue Entertainment). This requires that additional data files are installed.
OptionsThese options are accepted for WRAPPER-OPTIONS in the synopsis.
- -h, --help
- Show summary of options.
- -v, --version
- Show version of program.
- Select a non-default Quake II engine binary
- Use the demo data, even if you have both the demo and the full version installed
ExamplesPlay the demo in cooperative mode: quake2 --demo +map demo1 +set coop 1
- Connect to a server for multiplayer:
- quake2 +connect quake2.example.com
- Run the client as a temporary dedicated server (see the quake2-server
- package for more server infrastructure): quake2 +set dedicated 1 +set deathmatch 1 +map q2dm1