speedmine — simulates speeding down a rocky mineshaft, or a funky dancing worm
Synopsisspeedmine [-display host:display.screen] [-root] [-window] [-install] [-noinstall] [-visual visual] [-wire] [-nowire] [-worm] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-darkground color] [-lightground color] [-tunnelend color] [-delay microseconds] [-maxspeed number] [-thrust number] [-gravity number] [-vertigo number] [-terrain] [-noterrain] [-smoothness number] [-curviness number] [-twistiness number] [-widening] [-nowidening] [-bumps] [-nobumps] [-bonuses] [-crosshair] [-nocrosshair] [-psychedelic] [-nopsychedelic] [-fps]
Down the speedmine, you'll find speed
to satisfy your moving needs;
So if you're looking for a blast
then hit the speedmine, really fast.
Speedworm loves you.
Speedworm likes to bump and grind
and chase her tail, and dance around
she really is a funky friend;
she's made of speed from end to end.
You can configure stuff either with command-line options or X resources.
- -display host:display.screen
- Specifies which X display we should use (see the section DISPLAY NAMES in X(1) for more information about this option).
- Draw on the root window.
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Install a private colormap for the window.
- Don't install a private colormap for the window.
- -visual visual
Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual
class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
Possible choices include
default, best, mono, monochrome, gray, grey, color, staticgray, staticcolor,
truecolor, grayscale, greyscale, pseudocolor, directcolor, number
If a decimal or hexadecimal number is used, XGetVisualInfo(3X) is consulted to obtain the required visual.
- default, best, mono, monochrome, gray, grey, color, staticgray, staticcolor, truecolor, grayscale, greyscale, pseudocolor, directcolor, number
- Be a happy spastic worm instead of a tunnel.
- Specifies that the tunnel/worm should always be rendered in wireframe style.
- Specifies that the tunnel/worm should be rendered normally. Note that tunnel rendering may still temporarily switch to wireframe style when a wireframe bonus is hit, if bonuses are enabled.
- -foreground color
- Specifies the default foreground color.
- -background color
- Specifies the default background color.
- -darkground color
- Specifies the color of the darkest portions of the ground (or the worm's belly.) The ground/belly is colored by a gradient between darkground and lightground.
- -lightground color
- Specifies the color of the lightest portions of the ground/belly. The ground/belly is colored by a gradient between darkground and lightground.
- -tunnelend color
- Specifies the color of the light at the end of the tunnel.
- -delay microseconds
- Specifies the delay between drawing successive frames. If you do not specify -sync, some X servers may batch up several drawing operations together, producing a less smooth effect. This is more likely to happen in monochrome mode (on monochrome servers or when -mono is specified).
- -maxspeed number
- Specifies an upper bound on the speed of normal movement. This does not affect the speed that may be attained when hitting a speed bonus.
- -thrust number
- Specifies the thrust constantly applied. Positive numbers indicate a forwards thrust, negative numbers indicate a backwards thrust.
- -gravity number
- Specifies the effect of gravity. Larger numbers will increase acceleration downhill and decrease acceleration uphill.
- -vertigo number
- Specifies to what level the demo should accentuate the curvature and windiness of the tunnel or worm.
- Continuously generate a fractal terrain to simulate the rockiness of the tunnel walls, or the texture of the worm's skin.
- Do not generate terrain. When this option is set, all surfaces are flat.
- -smoothness number
- When -terrain is set, specifies how smooth the walls or skin are.
- -curviness number
- Controls how much the generated tunnel (or worm) should curve left and right, and dip up and down.
- -twistiness number
- Controls how much the generated tunnel (or worm) twists around itself.
- Specifies that the generated tunnel (or worm) may vary in width.
- Specifies that the average width should be kept constant.
- Indicates that the simulation should take the bumpiness of the ground into account and allow the animation to shake and rattle when travelling over rough ground. Or that the worm should be allowed to bump around and shake her booty.
- Indicates that the bumpiness of the ground should be ignored, such that the simulation will glide through the tunnel. Or that the worm should calm down and behave herself.
- Indicates that the demo should include bonus events. These include speed bonuses, spins, and changes of viewpoint and rendering style.
- Indicates that bonuses should not be included in the demo.
- Specifies that a gaming style crosshair be drawn on the simulation. This serves little purpose but may make hardcore gamers feel more comfortable.
- Specifies that no crosshair be drawn.
- Specifies that a psychedelic colormap should be generated. When this is set, the walls and ground of the tunnel are drawn in an often changing rainbow of colours.
- Specifies that a normal colormap should be used, with muted walls and a grey road.
- Display the current frame rate and CPU load.
Option Resource Default Value ------ -------- ------------- -wire .wire False -background .background black -foreground .foreground white -darkground .darkground #101010 -lightground .lightground #a0a0a0 -tunnelend .tunnelend #000000 -delay .delay 30000 -maxspeed .maxspeed 700 -thrust .thrust 1.0 -gravity .gravity 9.8 -vertigo .vertigo 1.0 -terrain .terrain True -smoothness .smoothness 6 -curviness .curviness 1.0 -twistiness .twistiness 1.0 -widening .widening True -bumps .bumps True -bonuses .bonuses True -crosshair .crosshair False -psychedelic .psychedelic False
WarningSpeedworm is a trained professional. Do not try this at home.
Prolonged viewing of this demo with maxspeed and vertigo above the defaults may have short-term psychological side effects including hyperactivity and attention deficiency.