xoids — X Window Asteroids style game
DescriptionXoids is an Asteroids style game which uses full color pixmaps instead of vector-style graphics.
The main features of the game are:
One or two players
Two player game is either against each other or cooperative
You can bounce off of asteroids if you are moving slow enough
Shots impart inertia on your ship
Shots have relative speed
Asteroids have appropriate masses (realistic physics)
The alien (called the Slurb) tracks players instead of wandering randomly
Thrusting and using hyperspace can overheat your engines
General non-ship control
- This can be pressed by either player and it causes Xoids to quit.
- Pause the game.
- Exit to the Main Menu.
- Increase clock speed.
- Decrease clock speed.
Ship controlThe following keyboard keys are used to control the ship(s).
- UP ARROW
- Activate player ONE's thrust.
- LEFT ARROW
- Turn player ONE's ship to the left.
- RIGHT ARROW
- Turn player ONE's ship to the right.
- RIGHT SHIFT
- Fire player ONE's weapon.
- Cause Player ONE to go into hyperspace (disappear and then appear in a different location).
- Activate player TWO's thrust.
- Turn player TWO's ship to the left.
- Turn player TWO's ship to the right.
- LEFT SHIFT
- Fire player TWO's weapon.
- Cause Player TWO to go into hyperspace (disappear and then appear in a different location).
One playerFive ships are allotted at the beginning of the game. Blast away asteroids and Slurbs until you are dead.
Two player duelPoints are decremented for dying, but there are unlimited lives. The first player to reach 20,000 points wins.
Two player cooperativeThe players' ships are linked via an elastic cable and there are unlimited lives. Still, like Two Player Duel mode, the first player to 20,000 points wins, which means the game may turn out more competitive than cooperative, but hey...
The second player uses 'C' for 'turn left', 'B' for 'turn right', 'F' for thrust, left SHIFT for 'Fire', and SPACE for hyperspace.